During the week of October 8 to 12, 2018, the Government of Barbados will be hosting the fifteenth (15th) Caribbean Week of Agriculture (CWA) under the theme: “Strengthening Agriculture for a Healthier Future in the Region”. First held in Trinidad and Tobago in 1999, CWA takes place under the aegis of the Alliance for Sustainable Development of Agriculture and the Rural Milieu, referred to as “The Alliance”.
The members of the Secretariat for the Alliance are:
- The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat
- The Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA)
- The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations
- The Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute (CARDI)
- The ACP-EU Technical Centre for Cooperation on Agriculture and Rural Development (CTA)
Held annually in October, this regional event provides a forum for Ministers of Agriculture, planners, regional organisations and other key agricultural stakeholders in the public and private sectors of the Region, to meet to discuss major issues affecting the agricultural sector in the region. The major objective is to derive solutions targeted at the transformation and repositioning of agriculture in the region, as well as at improving its contribution to supporting the economic, social and environmental stability of CARICOM Member States.
In this context, CTA will co-organise a number of meetings on the role of Caribbean youth in agriculture. Chef Edey, one of the most emblematic Chefs in the Caribbean, runs a programme “ Junior Duelling Challenge” to promote youth skills in the culinary sector.